Saturday, September 10, 2011

California Dreamin'

Today was a great day.  I feel a huge sense of accomplishment with the overall outcome of today's busyness and blessings.  Andrew and Ryan had good days at Big School/little school.  I crossed everything off of my to-do list at work for today.  I took the boys to their makeup class for karate (Andrew) and mommy/me gymnastics (Ryan) due to Labor Day. 

Ryan did an amazing job this week.  It was awesome to observe him watchiing his teacher and then running up to try to do exactly what she did by himself.  He is getting a little more independent.  He was even saying "peasz" and "tank ouh" without prompting.  (We are back to being my precious cutie-pa-tootie!) 

I do feel bad because Andrew was used to Mike and I watching him during his karate, and now that I am taking them by myself and have to be with Ryan, I know he is missing the satisfaction of having a loving eye on his ninja turtle moves.  I had to promise him that I would come and watch him for a little bit next week.  How could I tell those big blue eyes anything but "of course!"

Andrew and I ended the day (or at this point, his day) by watching Cinderella cuddled up in bed with a big bowl of popcorn on our laps (Mike forget you read this!).  Now Andrew is passed out curled up beside me (occasional special treat for a great week is getting to sleep in the BIG bed).

And I am left thinking about my hubby.  I don't know why, but my mind drifted to the great time that we spent in Oceanside, CA at the end of April.  It was a wonderful time just the two of us.  (He is very good about carving time out of our busy lives to get away and spend some quality time together.) 

We spent a perfect afternoon at the San Diego Zoo, walked along the beach, and then the next night took a drive along the coast line on our way to dinner at a great restaurant. 

We also played in the ocean one afternoon.  After emerging our big toes in the ocean water, we were bewildered at first by all the little kids who were splashing about and weren't freezing to death in the sharp chill of the water.  That is a cherished, fun memory.

However, it is the trip to the restuarant that will be the most memorable.  We are crusing along and Mike asks "If we could move tomorrow, where would you prefer to live?  Here or Boston?"  "Well, I do love Boston and its antiquity, history, charm, but I would have to say Oceanside.  People 'get me' here."  As I replied we had stopped at a light and a gentleman (yes, I'll say gentleman) started to cross in front of us.  His hair was dishevled and long, no shirt and he had a surf board tucked under his arm. 

"You would pick here" Mike stated.  "I mean, just look at that guy.  He has never been any where on time in his life."  "That does not mean that you aren't important to him." I say in defense.  "You are very important to him, and he will show up when he promised he would!  He is just running a few minutes behind because he was soaking up life in the moment and he knows how to relax, take it easy and have a little fun..." 

My southern CA peeps enjoying life...
You can imagine what Mike's response to that comment was...  I do believe I won this discussion by pointing out that this laid back, surfer dude's life expectany was going to be at least 10 years longer than all the uptight, on time Boston-lovers!

Mike and I in Boston soaking up a little local color in the shade of green!

1 comment:

  1. awe mommy/me gymnastics with Mac that lasted two classes, i can totally see Drew is Karate. It's getting close to me and Drew's birthday, i remember get "us" a cookie cake that one year.
    Xo Erica C.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...