Friday, July 6, 2012

America the Beautiful!

We had SO much fun celebrating the 4th of July this year and reconnecting with the great small town traditions of celebrating the freedom we in America should all be very thankful for!

My wonderful friend, Jamie, came down to stay two nights with us over the holiday.  It was SO nice to have her here with us.  We share the same brain, separated at birth I'm pretty sure.  We have attended the same church for 11 years and just before we moved a year ago some fellow church-goers had just realized we weren't sisters!

Now, I have to put in this disclaimer: I have made this confession before, but I truly am not the best at capturing each wonderful moment and memory with film!  However, I was actually on top of things this year, trying to be so organized and have everything ready for this fun filled day... but, alas!, fate was against me - and I could NOT find my camera anywhere to save my life!  And we would have had SO, SO many neat pictures!!!  Oh well... we can always stage a re-enactment!

Moving on from the never-ending disclaimer...

We started Jamie's visit by decorating Andrew's bike for the parade, dinner, a practice round of golf at the club and then I put Jamie to work by asking her to help me complete decorating the club for the 4th.  I had 13" mesh ribbon in red, white and blue to decorate the outside entrance and patio areas of the country club.  It turned out very well. (Sure wish I had a picture, but it was dark when we finished anyway!)

We woke up on the 4th, ate cinnamon rolls and got ready for the parade.  Andrew was SUPER excited about riding his bike in the parade and throwing out candy.  He received a "Participation" ribbon and everything!  He was so proud, and so were Mike and I!

After the parade we met up with my parents, aunt and her boyfriend at the city park.  This is where you will find the start to that good ol-fashioned small home town lovin'... pony rides, talent show (including an appearance of the late Michael Jackson!), a gun fight show every half hour, carnival rides, funnel cakes, corn dogs, turkey legs, lemonade, bingo, face paint - you name it, they have it!

We left the park to get ready to play in the "Firecracker" golf tournament (scramble) at the country club.  Mike, Andrew, Jamie and I made up the team.  It was Andrew's and my first golf tournament to ever play in!  Mike and Andrew really carried our team - Jamie always found the water hazards (but also made some really good shots) and I always found the pavement, which meant running across the street several times to retrieve my ball from some very nicely cut lawns!

Once we had completed our 18 holes, we made our way over to my parents' house for family time and yummy food!  I made this fabulous Peanut Butter Cup homemade ice cream.  Yum! 


I found the recipe on Pinterest, and it sure is a keeper!  Super easy, few ingredients, and delicious!

Independence Day came to a BOOM! when we laid out at the park on blankets and lawn chairs, listened to a local band (the Grisselheads...don't ask! but good music), and took in a great fireworks show.  I don't know if you were able to see the paper lanterns that were sold at firework stands this year, but they were absolutely gorgeous!  Those were my favorite this year!

I'm so thankful for a wonderful friend, great family and this country's freedom that I cherish and will never forget that it came with a significant price.

God bless America, and God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...