Friday, May 25, 2012

A Pet Peeve and Frogs

In an effort to eat and live a little healthier I have made it a goal to get in bed at a decent hour.  I say it is still a goal because it hasn't quite happened yet. 

It is just amazing  to me how fast the time goes from when we put the boys to bed to the clock reading 1 am.  The other "morning" I accused Mike of playing a trick on me by moving the clock up two hours.  I was really convinced.  But alas, it was truly one in the morning.

I tell you all of this because I wasn't going to write a blog post today because I knew it would be a completely crazy day since my, ahem!, awesome landscaping skills were demanded at the country club.

Anyway, on to the pet peeve and why I am staying up late to write this out.

Andrew is playing t-ball this spring in the competitive 5 and 6 year-old league. It seems like our team and parents are the most relaxed, laid-back and fun.  I understand following the rules is important since we are in the competitive league, but some teams we have played have been INTENSE.  Parents yelling all the time, keeping stats, and expecting a great deal from something that is supposed to be FUN.

It was our turn to bring snacks tonight, and surprise, surprise! I forgot the snacks at home.  By the time we turned around to get the snackies and then to the ballpark, they had already started the first inning and were 5 minutes into the game.

On the bottom of the second inning, Andrew was up to bat first.  He stepped up to the plate, measured up to the T... and then a mother on the other team stood up and yelled, "He can't play!  He's NOT on your roster!  There is NO WAY that kid can play without being on your roster!!" 

Everyone surrounding me on our team was expressing disbelief that someone would object like this.

I mean really they are FIVE years-old!  Just let them play. 

Since when are we so worried about wins and losses at this age, more so than instilling the love of the game, simple fundamentals, teamwork, good sportsmanship, and FUN!

They finally got it sorted out and Andrew sauntered up to the ball on the T and smacked one down the third base line for a double. 

After the solid hit, I couldn't help yelling out "Way to go!  We are on our way to the College World Series!"

I have seen so many very talented kids give up a sport in high school that they used to love because the fun was gone.  Don't steal the f.u.n.!

On a lighter note, while at the club working on the flower beds by the pool.  Andrew caught at least eleven small frogs (about the size of dimes or smaller).  He carried them around all day in a huge plastic bear that used to hold animal crackers. 

One of the little ones bit the dust and he was devastated!  He came running up to me asking what was wrong.

I told him that the frog had passed away and was now in Heaven with God and Jesus.  He said, "But why is his body still here in my hand."  "Because God gives you a brand new body when you get to Heaven," I lovingly responded.  "Why don't you find a pretty flower and put him under it?" I suggested.  Tearfully, Andrew picked a flower and buried him underneath it.

Sweet boy.  Growing up and dealing with our world is so hard sometimes.

I'm just so thankful and humbled to have the love of God sent by the Holy Spirit to speak through me when I don't know what to say as a mom during those tough conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...