Monday, March 5, 2012

Tried and True Recipes

It is amazing to me how much I LOVE being at home with my boys 5 days a week...although we are still working on that routine.  So it doesn't quite feel like we have really gotten to have a "normal" week yet.

And in the midst of it all there is eating to be done - breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I am a HUGE advocate of the dinner table and family meals.  I think the falter away from sitting down together as a family without television, phones, Ipods, and other distractions is a huge reason why America's younger generations have the problems they do.  But we won't get on that soap box...at least not tonight.

We our schedules still being in flux, I have relied on two tried and true, easy-peasy recipes that are quickly as scrumptuous as those you slave over.  (And you will find absolute freedom in my kitchen!)

This first recipe comes from a cook book my Premier Designs Jewelry sisters put together and the company sent to everyone as a Christmas gift several years ago.  Fast, easy and super yummy!

Creamy Enchiladas Verde
1 (10.75oz) can Cambell's creamy chicken verde soup (I can't find this any where, so I have been using Campbell's Nacho Cheese soup.)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped (This week I used chicken fajita meat that I found in the freezer section at Target.  It was SO good!)
2/3 cups Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
8 (6 in) tortillas, warmed
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375F.  In a mixing bowl, mix half of the can of soup, garlic powder, chicken and 1/3 c. cheese.  Spoon about 1/3 c. of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla, roll up the tortillas, and place them seam-side down in a 2-qt. shallow baking dish.  In a small bowl, mix the remaining soup and milk and pour over the tortillas.  Top with the remaining cheese.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until the enchiladas are hot.  Lip-smacking good!

The second recipe is one I am very proud of because...drum roll please...it is my very own recipe!  The reason I am proud of this is not to be boastful.  It is quite simply because I am good at following a recipe, but rarely, oh so rarely, do I ever just try to lay the cook book aside and "wing it."  But I did once, and here is the fruit of my labor.

Chicken Zucchini Pizza
I pkg Naan bread
1 to 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce (Your favorite.  I like four cheese or anything garlic.)
1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded (A can of chicken white meat works too.  Come on, really who has time to boil and shred?)
zucchini, thinly sliced
tomatoe, thinly sliced
Italian seasoning, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup mozarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350F.  Place bread on baking sheet.  Spread spaghetti sauce onto the bread as much as desired.  Top with tomatoes, zucchini, chicken, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and cheese.  Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Enjoy!

Note:  Tonight I used a jalepeno loaf and a rigatto cheese loaf from the grocer's bakery section since I couldn't find any naan bread.  It was super, duper yummy, and something that I will repeat to add a little variety.

There you have it, some of the Hansen's favorite meals for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...