Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Moving Tip #1

If you haven't been keeping up with the Hansen's, let me enlighten you on our current journey.  We are moving from CNN's recently named #1 city to live in the U.S. to my home town where the population of cattle out number people.  This has already been quite the adventure with my husband living in the community for 6 months (might I add with my loving parents). 

And after asking for cowboy boots, which the boys and I got him for Christmas, my big city boy has been drinking the water and is turning into quite the gentlemen-like folk.

For example - and by the way, this is Moving Tip # 1 - barbed wire, duct tape and a good sturdy rope don't always keep things together.

I have been packing like crazy and have 90% of our house in boxes ready for the big move this weekend.  Mike made the trip home Sunday night and then worked all day Monday cleaning out our shed and loading up boxes that were ready to head to our new home.

Might I add that he was loading the boxes onto a flatbed trailer.  Now, there is nothing wrong with this, but going 100+ miles on a trailer I would only let him take things in the garage and then semi non-breakable boxes from the boys' rooms (that were made up of mainly toys). 

And it's a good thing that I held to my guns, because about an hour after he left to begin the journey to our new town he called to say he had to stop and re-tie some of the rope... after one of the boxes FLEW OFF!  And he didn't go back to get it! 

Now, I know it's just stuff and can be replaced if needed, but all day I have been thinking about the contents of that box, and more importantly wandering, hoping and praying that the box didn't land in the middle of the road and cause a horrible accident.  (I watched the news tonight just to make sure there were no reports of injuries.)

I polled people at work to see what they would have done - stop for the box or drive, baby, drive.  All of the women in the office said they would go back for the box, the majority of the males said they would have just kept on going, and those women who have husbands said that their husbands would have kept on driving - and wouldn't have even told them it happened!

I'm curious...what would you have done?  Box or drive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...