Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Antics to Relate To...

Here are just some random happenings of life in the now:

1.  Our house has been on the market since June.  We have had great traffic, but no offers.  I knew this was "our" house from the moment I stepped foot in the door.  When Mike and I were looking to up size for our growing family, we had our selection narrowed down to our current house and a newer house in another addition across town.  I had agreed to the other house.  But then the next morning when I woke up, I had a huge sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.  I got into the shower and just started to weep. 

Walking out the door, Mike took one look at me and asked what was wrong.  "Oh nothing, I'm just being a silly girl, don't worry about it I'm fine." Knowing better, he asked again.  "Well, it's just that I'm grieving for the other house.  I've already had dreams of Christmas' and birthdays in that house.  I will be fine, it's just silly."  Needless to say, he decided that this house was where we needed to be.  Now my feelings are hurt a little - why doesn't anyone else love my house as much as I do?

2.  Andrew is still on this Rapunzel kick.  He came home today with a picture that he had drawn of me with hair like Rapunzel.  "See mommy, I made you so beautiful with long, long hair.  Don't you like it?" 

What you can't see is the picture that he drew on the reverse side of Rapunzel... it was very anatomically correct.  Let me just say it was not a picture of mommy!

3.  Date nights with your husband is a must.  Girls' nights out are much needed too.  I was supposed to have a girls' night out tonight to play Bunco.  It didn't happen.  Life is hard.  But there is a reason for everything...like being home to field the question, "Why did you think to draw this picture Andrew?"  (See Antic #2)  It will get better.  I will have a night out with the girls soon.  Twilight-Breaking Dawn is coming!  Tickets are purchased.  I can't wait!


4.  Getting everyone up and around in the mornings isn't easy.  Being a pseudo-single mom for the time being, I have had to be creative to encourage the 5 year-old to get ready halfway on his own in the mornings.  So I created a "Good Morning Checklist" for him to complete each morning. 

It has worked so far.  I layout his clothes every night and make sure the checklist and stickers are right next to the clothes.  I used pictures to depict the "tasks" that he is to do each morning.  He understands that he must complete each task above the solid black line before he gets to play which is represented by the Disney Cars vehicles.  If he is able to place a sticker in each box including the play box for the entire week, then he receives $1 as a reward.  He recently decided to save his earnings for a Disney's Cars vehicle that costs around $7.  That decision standing in front of ALL the enticingly cool racing cars at Target was pretty impressive and I was very proud.

5.  They say that Dog is a Man's Best Friend. 


And I would say that is true, our dogs were our children before we had human children.  There is nothing better than coming home to the excited, wagging tail of your canine children...until you come home to your human children.  This weekend I had commitments to keep and so I had a sweet college student watch the boys for me.  They truly loved spending time with her.  But when I returned home both Saturday and Sunday, Ryan ran full throttle into my arms happily giggling and screaming, "Momma, momma!"  Warm.My.Heart.  Nothing better. Nothing.

6.  I do love to be in the kitchen, and when I have time I experiment.  Nothing crazy, but I do like to come up with meals that are quick, easy and healthy.  The zucchini chicken pizza is one of these inventions.  I hadn't put it together in awhile and I don't know why.  It is simply yummy.

Hansen's Zucchini Chicken Pizza
Naan bread (typically in the bakery section)
Garlic roasted spaghetti sauce
Zucchini, thinly sliced (1 or 2 depending on your preference)
Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
Chicken (canned or cooked and shredded chicken breast)
1 cup of shredded mozzarella/Parmesan cheese
Italian seasoning

Layer all ingredients on the naan bread as desired.  Season to taste with the Italian seasoning.  Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 20 - 30 minutes until cheese is melted.  I usually can get 4 - 6 servings depending on how I cut the two pieces of naan bread.  (I have also cut the bread into pieces and then let everyone make their own slice before baking.) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...