Friday, October 7, 2011

Spook-tacular!

If you couldn't tell by the change in the look of my blog design, let me fill you in - I am excited about Halloween!  I really do love this time of year (even though I am a warm, or rather hot, weather kind of girl!).  I love the buzz in the air that begins with back-to-school activities, and I love the anticipation of all the wonderful family gatherings that begins with Halloween!

Growing up in a very small town, trick or treating (which folks in Iowa call "tricks or treat") was a very special time of the year.  It was truly the picture that is painted by so many Halloween movies where the children are all out roaming about, parents are walking them up door to door, and neighbors and their homes are decked out waiting expectantly to fright or (pretend) to be frightened.

Nowhere else I have been comes close to beating the trick or treating traditions of the little town where I grew up.  Even my parents play their part whole-heartedly now that my sisters and I are grown up.  They dress up and provide extra special treats of "witch's brew" with floating eyeballs and other such goodies.

Now that Andrew is old enough to understand the fun and silliness of this holiday, I love it even more!

Last year, we had a great time carving pumpkins together.  My sister, Aunt LaLa, was living with us and joined in the pumpkin carving frenzy.


Aunt LaLa - It was a SCARY effort! HA!

Andrew with his pumpkin and Ryan's pumpkin
The Line Up: Mrs. Gourdgeous, LittleTyke, 3EyedJack, FrankenScare, Mr. Boo
Simply put - we had a great time... we were in stitches the entire time while we were working on our creations!  Giggling at Andrew's first encounter with the gooey innards of the pumpkin "Eww...yuck! Wash my hands, wash my hands lickety-split!" to endless side-splitting laughter over Aunt LaLa's carving attempts.

I can't wait to enjoy each other's company again during the "Hansen Carve-off" this year!  May the best gourd be thumped, picked, and carved!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...