Saturday, October 8, 2011

I Just Put an Onion in the Freezer and the Milk in the Cupboard...

"I WANT a snack! I WANT a snack! I WANT a snack! ...please...Does that work?"  This is what was affectionately being requested, stated, screamed, and then followed up by a pleasant "please" after we remembered our manners.  All while I hurriedly tried to get dinner in the oven so it would be ready by the time Ryan's little timer in his tummy started to go off - which is 6 o'clock sharp!

Life is full of expectations and distractions.  As moms, we are always trying to fulfill those expectations - a clean house, laundry washed, dried and folded (did I mention put away?), children bathed (preferably on a daily basis) and needs met, being an affectionate, adoring wife and mother...the list goes on and on in different ways for each of us.
I find myself running in circles.  And then I wonder why I can't remember where I laid my toothbrush this morning after chasing the 21 month-old out of my bathroom trying to recapture the lotion bottle. Or why I put half of an onion in the freezer and the milk carton in the cupboard after using them to cook dinner.  (I found both before it was too late!)

It is a true phenomenon why a perfectly normal and functioning female brain is so affected after having a child (or children)!  I had the hardest time describing the location of anything after having Andrew.  Mike would ask me where something was in the kitchen as he so sweetly was helping with dinner and I simple couldn't tell him.  "Umm...it's in the thing above the other thing. Nope the other one, one more...yes, there. Hmm...not there, well, then I have no idea!"  Frustrating.

This is just one of the many aggravations and surprises that happens to each of us as mothers.  I'm curious to know what surprises took place with your body after having a baby.  (My feet grew half a size!  Never knew that could happen until after pregnancy!)

P.S. The dinner I made tonight was great!  And easy and fast!  Here's the recipe:

Oven Pork Chops
6 pork chops
1 (10.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of celery soup.)
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 med. onion, chopped
6 tbsp. ketchup

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Brown the pork chops and place them in a casserole dish. Combine the onion, cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup. Mix well and spread over the pork chops. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.

I made mashed potatoes too and the sauce leftover in the casserole dish made a yummy gravy.  Next time I make this I am going to make them in the crock pot and see how they turn out.  Otherwise, this will have to be a weekend recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...