Saturday, March 3, 2012

Battle: Geeks vs. Jocks

It honestly is a blessing from God that Mike and I are married...that we even started dating...that we even met.

You see, my doting, loving and constantly appraising husband has reminded me on numerous occasions that it is very fortunate that we met in college because he NEVER would have dated me in high school.

This is where the battle of the Geeks versus Jocks comes into play.

He was the jock.  He played three sports extremely well at one of the biggest high schools in Oklahoma.  There aren't many people that can say that they went to a high school with over 1,000 students in their class and competitively played baseball, wrestling and golf.  Unheard of.

And while I played sports - basketball (my fav), softball, track, golf (if you can call one year's worth really playing...but Mike did and then landed a golf scholarship to play on the college team), and cheerleading - I also was on the speech and debate team, served as an officer on the National and Oklahoma Honor Societies, and played the saxophone in the band.

Yes!  I was a geek, a nerd, an ugly duckling as Mike fondly says, and follows that comment up quickly with "who grew into a swan."  He is a smooth one.

You know, just when you think that the "dork-iness" has left you, you find yourself painting the entry hallway of your new home.  Minding your own business, painting away, listening to some of "today's top hits" on the TV. 

There might have been some rockin'-body JLo moves and once or twice the paint roller might have turned into a glitter microphone.  Who can resist the urge to dance to "I Like It Like That" by Hot Chelle Rae?  All in the privacy of your home...right? 

WRONG!

I completely forgot about the front door standing wide open while I was "hmm, hmm, rockin' that body" (along with killer robot dance moves.)  All of a sudden I get that creepy feeling that someone is watching me.

I look over to the open door and standing there watching me is our 10 year-old neighbor.  His mouth agape and I know he is contemplating whether or not it is too late to duck and run.

Satisfied with the knowledge that the geek never leaves you,  I nonchalantly walk over to the door and let him in to go upstairs and find Andrew.

The only thought that ran through my mind was - "Man, this is going to be SO MUCH FUN when Andrew and Ryan are teenagers."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...