Friday, February 24, 2012

My Lenten Journey

So far I have accomplished reading, or rather listening, to a book I have wanted to read for a while now. 

Eat. Pray Love.

I have been waiting to watch the movie.  I can't even tell you how long the movie has been out sadly.  But when you become a mother, movie watching is a novelty unless Winnie the Pooh, Lightening McQueen or Simba is involved.

Grown up movie watching is a "has-been."  But what, I am getting off topic here.

Eat. Pray. Love.

You know, I really think that God waits to bring certain things into your life when you really will use them and be ready to hear and receive a lesson in life.

Ironically, I finished the audio book on Wednesday, Ash Wednesday.  I thought that was very clever.  Especially when it was about 11am on Wednesday and that's when I realized that it was Ash Wednesday.

How did it get here so quickly?  It just doesn't seem possible.

I really enjoyed the book and can't wait to watch the movie.  Liz Gilbert and I have similar personality traits - bubbly, people-pleaser, quirky, daring and a bit dramatic.  I loved listening to her read her writing.  It really added insight and humor that I'm sure would not have been as good as just reading it on my own from the actual book.

Her experiences made me realize how much I yearn to be closer to God, coupled with everything that makes up Ash Wednesday and the journey to remembering Jesus giving his life so we may live.

It makes me sad that I do not slow down enough to just sit in the presence of God.  Reading a couple of chapters of my Bible every night just does NOT cut it.  And, gee, before I listened to this book, I thought I was doing pretty good.  YIKES!

So, here is my dedication for my Lenten journey this year:
  • Andrew and I have compiled a list of 5 Bible verses that we are going to memorize as a family over these 40 days.
  • I will start to carve out at least 30 minutes in the mornings before my family wakes up to spend in prayer and meditation.  Just me and God.  I know this will help me focus on my family, attitude for the day and simply, my mental health and balance.
  • Using a whisper when I would normally raise my voice in response to a highly energetic, creative and funny five year-old.  He is a good kid and I have to slow down to see the world through his expressive eyes.  Understanding from his view is the key.
  • I will finish reading the New Testament of the Bible. 
It feels good to stop and re-focus your life every now and again.  Take a deep breath.  Bless the circumstances that stress and strain.  Love yourself.  Love your Savior and your Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...